Gedung Kuning

  • 1819

    Istana Kampong Glam or Kampong Glam Palace (IKG) was built by order of Sultan Hussain who was the newly instated Sultan of Johor. Singapore then was ruled by tripartite rule – the East India Company, the Sultan and the Temenggong.

  • 1835

    Sultan Hussain passed away and his eldest son, Tengku Ali became heir to the throne. He was known as Sultan Ali.

  • Circa 1846

    Even though Singapore never had a Bendahara (Prime Minister), a mansion to house a Bendahara (Rumah Bendahara or House of the Prime Minister) was built for Tengku Mahmud, the younger son of Sultan Ali. Tengku Mahmud named the mansion Gedung Kuning (the Yellow Mansion) after its yellow walls.
    Gedung Kuning’s land area: 13,254 square feet.

  • 1897

    Royal family dispute ensued and the Court of Appeal held that no one could claim the property and land of Kampong Glam.
    [The case of Tengku Mahmud vs. Tengku Ali, Straits Settlements Laws Report 1897 (Vol. 5)]
    Straits Settlements Statutory Land Grant No. 18322

    IKG’s representatives

  • 1907

    Gedung Kuning was mortgaged by Tengku Mohamed Bin Sultan Ali to R.M.P.S Annamalay Chitty.*

  • 30 July 1912

    Haji Yusoff bin Haji Mohamed Noor (also known as Hadjee Eusope Bin Hadjee Mohamed Noor) bought Gedung Kuning from R.M.P.C Mootiah Chitty.*

  • 2 May 1919

    Haji Yusoff sold Gedung Kuning to Choo Sow San.*

  • 28 July 1925

    Haji Yusoff bought Gedung Kuning back from Oei Tjong Swan and Ho Kien Hwa Neo.*

  • 1925 - 1999

    Haji Yusoff’s family stayed in Gedung Kuning.

  • 12 March 1999

    Government announced plans to convert the Istana Kampong Glam and Gedung Kuning into a Malay Heritage Centre (MHC). Istana Kampung Gelam will be turned into a museum whereas Gedung Kuning will be turned into a gallery cafe.

  • 11 September 1999

    Gedung Kuning was acquired under the Land Acquisition Act and now belonged to the Singapore Government. Haji Yusoff’s estate lawyers advised the family that it would be tough to fight the acquisition, one that the family would not have won. Haji Yusoff’s descendants who were staying in Gedung Kuning had no other choice but to leave the mansion.

  • 1999 - 2003

    Gedung Kuning underwent restoration.

  • 27 Dec 2003

    Tepak Sireh Restoran at Gedung Kuning was officially opened by Associate Professor Yaacob Ibrahim, Minister in-charge of Muslim Affairs.

  • 2008

    The MHC came under the charge of the National Heritage Board (NHB).

  • August 2011

    The MHC closed for extensive renovation and is scheduled to open in June 2012.

  • 1 January 2012

    Tepak Sireh Restoran closed down. The NHB evaluated tenders for new business at Gedung Kuning.

  • 4 April 2012

    It was announced in Berita Harian that the Expansion Group Pte Ltd that runs the restaurant chain Fig & Olive has been awarded the tender to operate food business (restaurant called Mamanda) at Gedung Kuning.

  • 6 April 2012

    The Mango Tree saga started and other disputes between Mamanda, MHF and the family of Gedung Kuning ensued. Pls read Factual Disputes & Contributions.

*Information taken from Statutory Land Grant No: 16944